Elizabeth WOD is an original CrossFit Girl WOD.
It is a for-time WOD that requires athletes to complete a ring dip and squat clean using the following set and rep scheme: 21-15-9.
The squat clean should be done using 95 pounds of weight.
This means you do the exercises in this order:
- 21 barbell cleans
- 21 ring dips
- 15 barbell cleans
- 15 ring dips
- 9 barbell cleans
- 9 ring dips
The Elizabeth WOD is a CrossFit benchmark workout that you can use to assess your progress over a period.
The two movements, ring dip and squat clean, are quite challenging, so you must spend sufficient time working on your form and technique.
The aim of this workout is for you to perform it at speed. This, however, doesn’t mean you should sacrifice form for speed.
When the power Elizabeth WOD was initially created, squat cleans were the original RX.
Nevertheless, some people use power cleans instead of squat cleans as RX.
If you are unsure, you should check with an instructor.
Scaling Options for Power Elizabeth WOD
There are various scaling options for the squat clean. For example, you could switch to medicine ball cleans or stick to regular cleans but reduce the weight.
There are also scaling options for the ring dip.
You can substitute ring dips for push ups, bar dips, jumping ring dips, or banded ring dips.
Elizabeth WOD Tips
- You shouldn’t be afraid to scale down the weight when doing this CrossFit workout. Remember, the aim of this workout is that it should be done at speed.
- You should do all you can to not fail during your movements. This means you should break up the reps as much as you want, particularly the ring dips, to a portion you can handle.
- Ensure that you master both movements when doing this workout.
Since the Elizabeth WOD is scored for time, you will need to complete your reps as quickly as possible during this CrossFit workout:
- For a beginner, you should aim to have a time between 10 to 14 minutes
- For an intermediate athlete, you should expect a time between 7 to 10 minutes
- For advanced athletes, you can expect a time between 4 to 7 minutes
You will need the following equipment to complete the Elizabeth WOD:
- Gymnastic rings
- Bumper plates
- Rig or support systems
The great thing about the Elizabeth WOD is that while it is advanced, it can still be adjusted for beginners.