If you want to track your progress as you get better at CrossFit, you should consider testing yourself with the occasional benchmark girl workout. One of the most popular examples is the Fran. This is a relatively short workout, but it is anything but simple!
A few key points to keep in mind regarding the Fran WOD include:
- You will perform three separate sets of barbell thrusters and pull-ups.
- You will reduce the number of repetitions on each set from 21 to 15 to 9.
- You should time yourself from start to finish to see how you do!
This is one of the most popular workouts of the day, and it is one that you should perform from time to time to see how you do with thrusters and pull-ups! What do you need to know if you want to get the fastest time possible? Learn more below!
What Is the Fran Workout Of The Day?
Because the Fran workout of the day is one of the most popular Crossfit workouts, you may have had people come up to you in the past to ask you about “Fran” time. If you don’t have an answer to give them, it is time to fix that problem!
The Fran workout of the day is a couplet of barbell thrusters and pull-ups. You will perform 95 lb barbell thrusters followed by pull-ups for three separate rounds.
The exact order of the workout include:
- Perform 21 barbell thrusters at 95 pounds
- Perform 21 pull-ups
- Perform 15 barbell thrusters at 95 pounds
- Perform 15 pull-ups
- Perform 9 barbell thrusters at 95 pounds
- Perform 9 pull-ups
As with the Linda WOD, the goal is to perform all three rounds as quickly as possible. This is a great workout because you can measure your fitness across time. As your time gets faster, you can watch yourself get more powerful. It is not unusual for people to perform this workout once a week to watch how quickly they improve.
How Do You Perform Barbell Thrusters Correctly?
Of course, one of the most important components of this exercise is the barbell thrusters. This is an exceptional exercise that will work a variety of muscles, as this is a whole body exercise. The front squat is going to engage your legs and your core. The overhead shoulder press will target your biceps, triceps, and shoulders.
If you haven’t performed a barbell thruster before, you need to learn how to do this exercise before you can complete the Fran.
The steps involved in performing a barbell thruster include:
- The exercise begins with the barbell in the front rack position. Make sure your palms are facing the ceiling, and try to keep your hands at shoulder height. Keep your elbows as high as possible. It should be the same position you are in when you catch a clean.
- Then, you will squat down. Make sure you keep the barbell and the front rack position. Try to keep your chest high as you squat down.
- Once you have dipped into the squat position, drive straight up. Make sure you use the power in your legs.
- You should continue pushing until you can drive the barbell off your shoulders. Try not to thrust forward too far, as you might get hurt.
- Finally, lock out your arms. Make sure the barbell is above your head. You should use your lower body to support not only your upper body but also the barbell.
It can take some practice to do this properly. You may want to start with a lighter weight until you master the technique. Then, you can increase the way to 95 lb, which is what you use in the Fran WOD.
You can also take a look at a video of someone performing a barbell thruster here.
What Is A Good Time For The Fran Workout Of The Day?
The first time you perform the Fran workout, you should try to complete the workout in under 9 minutes. This is a good starting point for a beginner.
An average athlete will probably be able to finish this exercise in approximately six minutes and thirty seconds. Once you have been in CrossFit for a while, you should be able to hit this time.
An advanced athlete should be able to finish the Fran WOD in approximately five minutes and thirty seconds, while an elite athlete can finish this exercise in four minutes.
Once you get down under three minutes, you are right in line with some of the regional athletes. As you completely Fran WOD, you should try to hit your best time. At the same time, you may want to see how your time compared to some of the other athletes in the area. You can take a look at a video of someone performing the Fran workout of the day here.
What Is Matt Fraser’s Fran Time?
According to the official CrossFit games website, Matt Fraser can complete the Fran WOD in 2:07, making him one of the top CrossFit athletes in the world.
How Do You Scale The Fran Workout Of The Day?
There are several ways you can scale the Fran workout. The first time you perform this workout, you may not be able to complete all the repetitions as intended, which is totally fine!
Some of the ways you can scale this workout include:
- You may want to eliminate the first round of repetitions. Instead of starting at 21, you can start at 15 before dropping to 9.
- If you are able to perform pull-ups, but you are new to barbell thrusters, then you may want to drop the weight on the barbell thrusters until you get better at this exercise.
- As you work your way up, you can perform three rounds, but you may want to knock two repetitions off of each round.
- Instead of performing barbell thrusters, you may want to start by performing dumbbell thrusters. If you need an alternative to pull-ups, you may want to perform ring rows instead. This is another way you can scale the workout accordingly.
Eventually, you should be able to complete the Fran WOD as intended, but there is nothing wrong with scaling the workout back. You might want to reduce the number of total repetitions, or you may want to reduce the weight.
How Do You Get Faster At The Fran Workout Of The Day?
There are several ways you can get faster at the Fran workout of the day. A few tips you may want to follow include:
- Make sure you keep the barbell relatively close to the pull-up bar. That way, you don’t have to worry about going too far to do your pull-ups.
- Do not put the weights on the barbell immediately before performing the exercise. You need to make sure all of your muscles are ready to go, so give yourself a few minutes to rest after you load the barbell.
- You might want to consider breaking up the first two rounds into two different sets. For example, you may want to break the round of 21 repetitions into sets of seven. Then, you might want to break the set of 15 repetitions into groups of 8 and 7.
- You need to pace yourself as you go through the round. Even though 9 repetitions at the end may not sound like a lot, they will be excruciating if your muscles are already completely exhausted.
These tips should help you get faster at the Fran workout of the day. Most importantly, keep an eye on your legs and your back as you perform the barbell thrusters at the end of the workout. You need to focus on your technique to make sure you do not hurt your back.
Track Your Progress With The Fran Workout Of The Day (WOD)
There are plenty of benchmark workouts that can help you track your progress across the CrossFit landscape. One of the most popular is the Fran. You will perform three separate rounds of barbell thrusters and pull-ups. The number of repetitions will descend each round.
You should track your time from start to finish. Then, you can watch yourself get more powerful as you go. You can also compare your time with some of the top CrossFit athletes in the world. Consider performing this set regularly, and track your progress in a journal!